German: Extension Course – (Year 12) 1 Unit
The Extension Course builds upon the body of knowledge and skills acquired in the French Continuers course. It provides students with opportunities to develop a greater competence and fluency in the language, and to explore contemporary issues in French.
The Extension Course builds upon the body of knowledge and skills acquired in the German Continuers course. It provides students with opportunities to develop a greater competence and fluency in the language, and to explore contemporary issues in German.
The German Extension course provides opportunities for students to:
• enhance their enjoyment of learning German by broadening and deepening their language experience
• gain insight into the culture of German-speaking communities and the communities' perspectives on contemporary issues
• gain an appreciation of the German language through the study of contemporary texts
• use German as an adjunct to their career path.
Main Topics Covered
Tolerance of difference:
• the generation gap
• gender issues
• overcoming prejudice
Coping with change
• the impact of technology
• changing values and traditions
• isolation/the value of friendship
Pressures in today's society
• the media
• ambition/the concept of success
• the search for personal identity
• Kein Job für eine Lady
• Risiko für Weihnachtsmänner
• Die Geschichte vom bösen Hänsel und der bösen Gretel
• Die Fernsehshow
In class assessment of:
20% Speaking skills 40% Analysis of short stories
20% Response to aural text 20% Writing skills
The listening skills are assessed in school, whilst all other skills are assessed both in school and in the HSC examination. There are no take home assessment tasks for German Extension.
Who should study this course:
Anyone who would like to enhance their knowledge and understanding of a range of issues as reflected in contemporary German texts, while extending their ability to use and appreciate German as a medium for communication, and creative thought and expression.
If you require more information please contact:
Frau E. Arch.